Thursday 6 August 2015

The power of environment.

photo
Throughout my education and young career as a teacher, I have had the opportunity to work in 6 different schools of 3 different school boards and within 2 provinces. I am humbled to say that I have had great experiences overall, working with wonderful people and being able to grow as a teacher through both the pros and cons of all.
With embracing my OCD, as it works wonders for staying organized, I willingly admit that having my own classroom is definitely a huge must have and top of my pro list! In the one teaching experience where I did not have my own classroom, I one, became even more of a bag lady and two, more than I thought, felt limited. One of the worst feelings as an educator (in my opinion). The walls were grey, the desks were grey, and as much as I love a nice grey, it was dull. Without decor, I lost the power that I truly believe comes from creating an environment. The ability to give students a feeling of excitement, and interest while influencing them to not only succeed but enjoy.
This year, I am thrilled to say I am back to having my own classroom to share with my wonderful (for now... kidding!) one hundred and thirty or so students. With being the resource teacher, and having so many students come and go, working on different assignments, being organized is my main priority.
The days before my students arrived I was determined to give my once not so nice to look at filing cabinet a face lift. After a trip to Target, and another to Walmart because I bought the wrong Con-Tact paper (you need the adhesive one... obviously..), she is pretty, and I can cross off my first classroom DIY project - just call me Martha!
photo 2
She holds all of my important files regarding students, my master documents (always ready to go for the photocopier) and keeps my card stock and paper supply organized. I am very happy with this upscale, because with previous experience working in an office, and as a supply teacher I learned I really cannot stand an ugly filing cabinet.
My world of organization continues with my phone table (an ugly filing cabinet, that I did not take a full photo of because it has yet to be upscaled) and my two chalkboards. Besides my classroom phone, my phone table holds my latest educational reads, my school council files and my important folders; attendance, meeting notes, supply folder - to see these folders, check out my previous post a little head start never hurt.
photo 3
My chalkboards are not only used to keep myself organized but my students as well. The first board is to inform students of upcoming events at both schools. The other is my task manager, where I record all possible assignments students in work completion can be working on while in my class. The board is divided into homerooms, using Scotch masking tape in pink. I absolutely LOVE that they produced colours. At the bottom right corner I simply posted a bell schedule for students to work on time management.
The large green bookshelf that I tell myself is almost mint so that I like it better, is used for student supplies. Besides paper and pens, this is where I keep all of my students' duo-tangs that hold their Daily Task Manager where they record what they have worked on during class. I use this, and sign off on it at the end of every class, to ensure that students in Work Completion are doing just that, completing work and not using this useful time as a spare period.
photo 4
The power of words is significant in my room, from notes to my students and checklists, to some of my favourite quotes.
photo 1
With math being one of the more common classes students struggle with, I use chart paper to create a large example memory aid for grades 7 through 9 math exams. As the year goes on I add the current material needed to help support students in their studies and in creating their own personal copy.
photo 2
Finally my seating arrangement, storage and technology. The large conference table serves as a great group learning area, with perfect view of our classroom SMART-board. To the left, are my two storage cupboards where I keep a lot of extra resources that I do not need on a daily basis. They are also home of my second classroom DIY project that I plan on completing this week - stay tuned! On the right side of the conference table are the two independent study areas, where students can work alone or in small groups on class assignments. I also have another similar table located in front of my desk, which is used as my guided teaching area where I work with students one on one or in small groups to help them with specific concerns/questions or content review.
photo 5
I absolutely love the convenience of having student computers in my classroom, not only can students use them for their class assignments, but I have found great online resources for students to use and play after completing their own work. However, I do have to admit, I am sometimes overwhelmed by the excess amount of wiring, so please if you have any wire-hiding solutions please share!
I often feel pressured to have my classroom ready on the first day of school, but it is definitely on ongoing process, and I am now embracing the creative experience. I am looking forward to filling my walls and shelves with decorative pieces and inspirational words. As my students leave my classroom they are reminded of one of my more important lessons... "If you can be anything, be kind" - Unknown.
All smiles,
Ms. Elizabeth A.

No comments:

Post a Comment